Saturday, May 2, 2009

grandma paul

I stayed after Women's Conference to visit Grandma Paul. It was so nice for Jann, Debbie, Billie, and Andelyn (and little Soleil) to entertain me for the day. I am so lucky to have family that is so helpful and that I enjoy visiting so much. It had been a while since I'd seen Grandma, so it was a bit tough at first to adjust to seeing her that way.. with oxygen, struggling to speak. But as we got to chatting I was shocked to realize how well she remembers the funniest things. She was remembering all my "missionary mishaps" with old boyfriends and how it took Troy and I so long to decide to get married. She was recounting the stories like they happened yesterday. Grandma always had dating advice for me. My favorite thing was when she shared and Grandpa's love letters with all the girls. This picture of them on their honeymoon hung in my college apartment for years.
Just driving to her house and walking through her halls brought back SO many memories of summers in Utah. I remember walking down to the swimming pool and eating plums from the trees on the way home. I loved when we helped clean Grandma's garage… we always found such treasures in the closet...lots of gold leafing and the greatest coats and party dresses. Trying them on entertained us for hours.

Oh I'm glad I could see her again.

2 comments:

Heather Bower said...

I have such fond memories of my Grandma and Grandpa Flake. I'm always so sad that they are gone, but so glad that I got to spend so much time with them while they were here with us. You'll be so grateful you were able to go see your Grandma. It's always fun to hear old memories and stories of their lives. :) Stories you'll never forget.

Karen said...

Grandma looks different from the last time I saw her! Soleil looks soo cute! But I am confused, weren't you suppose to wear a different outfit that day?